Major roadways must be designed and managed so they can safely and efficiently accommodate all roadway users. To achieve this goal, those involved with access permitting, local comprehensive planning, and development review and permitting need a clear understanding of the principles and techniques for managing roadway access. State and local agency personnel also benefit from insight into how best to coordinate on accomplishing access management objectives. This course will identify applicable regulations, guidelines and procedures pertaining to access management and how local government agencies can effectively regulate and manage access through the planning and development process. Typical regulatory requirements for access management at the state and local government level will be discussed. Best practices and resources will be identified, as well as the latest national research.
The target audience for this workshop is local, state and private sector personnel with responsibility for transportation and land use planning, development review, access permitting, and obtaining access permit approval. These include planners, development services personnel, engineers, consultants, public works directors, managers, and transportation agency personnel.
To earn Professional Development Hours (PDHs) or a Certificate of Completion for each recorded webinar, you must view the entire webinar. After viewing, please fill out the web form at the link below to request your certificate. The Florida LTAP Center will follow-up within 2-3 weeks.
Each individual webinar session will award 1.5 PDHs. Up to 4.5 PDHs can be earned for fully viewing and completing all three sessions.
Click the tabs below to view the recorded webinars.
Part 1 of 3 – The Basis for Access Management
This session will review the planning and engineering principles and concepts that form the basis for access management practices.
Part 2 of 3 – Land Development and Access Management Techniques
This session will review land development and access management techniques and strategies for state and local coordination in access management.
- Access Management – The Basics and More Part 2 Slide Deck
- Bypass Basics Brochure
- Bypass Basics White Paper
- Bypass Impacts Presentation for Public
Links Mentioned During the Webinar
- Model Access Management Policies and Regulations for Florida Cities and Counties, 2nd Edition (2017): https://www.cutr.usf.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Model-Regulations-Final-Report.pdf
- Ten Ways to Manage Roadway Access in Your Community:
- NCHRP Synthesis 589: Incorporating Roadway Access Management into Local Ordinances (TRB, 2020):
- Presentation at the TRB Access Management Conference, 2018, Madison Wisconsin: “Do Property Owners Assume Liabilities and Duties When they have a Driveway?”
- Access Management Manual, 2nd ed (2014): http://www.trb.org/Publications/AMM14.aspx (sold by TRB)
Part 3 of 3 – National Access Management Research and Resources
This session will update participants on the latest national research on access management, including a new Access Management Communications Toolkit to be released this summer.
The short video below is a preview of what will be discussed in this recorded webinar.