The Florida LTAP Center presents this webinar on Public Speaking Skills for Engineers 101. Public speaking is one of the most effective and marketable skills any professional can have. Public speaking is also one of the most common fears of most people, especially engineers! So, can you learn to master the fear and speak in front of others? Yes!
Kevin Elliott is a veteran public speaker and public speaking instructor. He has taught public speaking at the college level and has spoken to small and large groups across the country. Kevin works with engineers every day by helping them communicate in various ways, including public speaking. In this webinar, he will teach you several principles that, when applied, will improve your public speaking instantly.
• Teach participants why they are afraid to speak in public.
• Teach participants the physiology of public speaking fear.
• Provide techniques for controlling that fear.
• Provide practical techniques to improve public speaking skills instantly.
• Provide simple techniques for communicating technical engineering concepts to broad, non-technical audiences.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
✔ Explain what happens in their body when the fear of public speaking hits.
✔ Practice techniques to calm their body and speak in front of others.
✔ Demonstrate practical techniques to improve their public speaking.
✔ Demonstrate techniques for communicating complex engineering concepts for non-technical audiences.
- Fear of public speaking explained.
- How to control that fear.
- Practical techniques to improve your public speaking instantly.
- How to communicate technical topics to non-technical audiences.
This webinar is provided at no cost and will award a certificate to those fully attending and completing the webinar. Professional Development Hours will be provided to those that request these during registration. A total of 1.0 PDH can be earned for fully attending the webinar. Florida local agencies are being given first priority!
Kevin Elliott is a Senior Marketing Specialist at Applied Research Associates. He writes strategic communication plans and manages creative outreach projects for clients including the Federal Highway Administration, the Florida Department of Transportation, the U.S. Air Force, and the National Institute for Standards and Technology, among others. He lives in Panama City, Florida, with his wife, daughter, and 12 chickens.
Public Speaking Skills for Engineers 101
DATE: Tuesday, August 17, 2021
TIME: 2:30 – 3:30PM (ET)