- This event has passed.
Value Capture Strategies: Making the Business and Economic Case —A Primer
October 6, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
The Value Capture Business Case describes how governments set the policy, goals, objectives, and key performance indicators that form the basis of the policy case for a project. These are linked to the business case for a value capture technique through the allocation of costs and risks. This chapter explains how policy makers at the State and local level can achieve alignment of their policy objectives with the business and financial case for value capture techniques. It also discusses how this process can be enhanced through involving stakeholders in the planning process.
Making the business and economic case for value capture to generate new funding for transportation infrastructure projects and programs is ultimately about establishing a clear and direct nexus between the transportation projects and real estate developments that emerge or benefit from transportation project investments. To maximize VC monetization potential, an effective VC strategy is to start early during project planning and public involvement phases and well in advance of right-of-way acquisition and project procurement. Making the VC business case is also about developing a strategy to strengthen and preserve the VC negotiating leverage with developers early in the planning stage.
FHWA will roll out the Value Capture Strategies: Making the Business and Economic Case —A Primer designed to demonstrate how local and regional agencies tasked with providing infrastructure can make the business and economic (B/E) case for using one or more VC techniques to address increasing funding challenges. The objective is to build capacity of understanding Value Capture Strategies, for consideration and implementation of revenue options, and value capture tools as part of a mix of funding and financing strategies in long-range plans.
The webinar features experts discussing best practices and reviewing case studies for building the case for value capture. Registration is free but is limited, register now to reserve your space!
For additional information, please contact:
- Thay Bishop, FHWA Center Innovative Finance Support, 404-562-3695, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stefan Natzke, FHWA National Systems and Economic Development, 202-366-5010, Stefan.Natzke@dot.gov
Resources: Available Now:
- Consult the Value Capture Implementation Manual for information applicable to all Value Capture strategies of roadway projects. See the FHWA’s Value Capture website for case studies, best practices, lessons learned, FAQs, and resources.
- Watch a short video on how Value Capture optimizes agency resources.
- Check back for much more, as new resources are under development!