- This event has passed.
Urban Heat Island and Pavement Preservation Explained
October 27, 2021 @ 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
This webinar will provide attendees a thorough introduction to one of the “hottest” pavement related issues of today and how pavement preservation strategies can help solve one of the most challenging issues we face – soaring urban temperatures. The Global Cool Cities Alliance (GCCA) will present the science behind the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect, discuss the latest on their Cool Roadways Partnership and highlight some of the heat related language in the INVEST in America Act (2021 Infrastructure Bill). The session will focus on explaining the complex nature of UHI, highlight what cities are doing to combat it and review the proposed federal funding available for local agencies to deploy solutions to mitigate urban heat while also helping to preserve pavements.
- Review the detrimental effects of excess heat on our pavements and how to mitigate those effects through pavement preservation.
- Introduce and define the urban heat island effect and its causes.
- Highlight success stories from similar agencies implementation of cool roadways strategies.
- Introduction of heat related language in the INVEST in America Act and how cities could be set to receive hundreds of millions in cool roadways funding to help address the challenges of urban heat.
Instructors: Chris Evers & Maria Koetter
- This course offers 1.5 PDH’s for fully viewing the webinar.
- Please note – Florida local agencies are being given first priority!
For more information, click here.